Monday, February 23, 2015

Abstract Garland Decor

I don't know about you, but I just can't decorate a room and leave it for the rest of eternity. I am continually repurposing decorations in different rooms. I will de-clutter and purge and then put something new up. And then in another few months take those things down and replace it with something new again.

Our kitchen is still a bit of a work in progress, but I have known that I wanted to add a garland to the windows in the corner where our table is.


I knew I wanted something home made, colorful and to have this half rounded circular shape to it. I decided to use some left over posterboard as my base.

I practiced some abstract painting techniques to get a pattern all over the poster that I liked.

To get the big splashes of color down I used pink, orange, aqua and lime green acrylic paint squirted on to a piece of plastic. I rolled over the paint with a brayer and then onto the poster board. After that was dry, I took black acrylic paint and a brush and added swirly lines and dots on top. I went back into a few places and added more aqua blue patches. Aqua is a pretty dominant color through out our house so I wanted to bring that color out a little more.

Once that was dry. I created a template for my shapes using an old bucket.


I cut the shapes out, folded them in half and then taped them to a piece of black yarn. I used double sided sticky squares (like for scrapbooking) to keep the circles front and back stuck to each other.


Only bummer is... its not long enough for the windows in the kitchen! Lesson learned, measure first!

Gonna hang this above our working space/table in the basement instead!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! So cute and colorful! Also, your blog is just stunning. So beautiful. I can't wait to visit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SARA! Thank you! It's SO easy... I busted all the stuff out last weekend when we were snowed in watching movies! It just adds a little needed splash of color around the house!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...