Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Sketchbook Assignment

I mentioned (briefly) in a post yesterday that I have been applying for art teacher jobs in some local school districts. It's quite a thorough process indeed! Updating resumes, references, teacher philosophies and lesson plans takes a lot of in-depth thought.

I was working on a lesson plan for a Photography 1 class and wanted to include a sketchbook assignment for the students.


AND this was BORN!

I am so totally obsessed with the outcome and the concept itself.

What I ask students to do in the lesson plan is to find or take a photo themselves, of something that inspires them. Then, take the photo, print it and design a sketchbook page around the image.

I wanted to have an example to show, so this is what I came up with.

It's a combination of several different mediums including stamps, acrylic paint, washi tape, sharpie and Faber-Castell Gelatos.


The photo is an iPhone pic from a recent road trip. I found this quote that I absolutely adore and added it to the image. I think this image/quote is going to be my classroom theme (if I get a teaching job!).

Carl Sagan was an American astronomer. Wikipedia says he was into finding extraterrestrial life.
I like the quote for the possibility it holds for learning.

This is definitely an assignment I will give to students over and over. It will certainly be gracing my own sketchbook from time to time as well.


Sketchbook assignment from emilyburlingame on Vimeo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...