Monday, March 2, 2015

Hand Painted Midori Fabric Journals

I recently took an online class to learn the art of making a 'Midori Journal' cover. I had never heard of them, but the moment I saw one, I knew I wanted to try making my own.

There is a video at the bottom of this post that better shows how they work.


 Traditionally Midori's are made of a leather cover and are called Midori Travel journals. Their origin started with the idea of minimizing the amount of stuff that one might travel with. Within it you might keep a journal for documenting experiences and memories of a trip or to keep travel itinerary info in all in one place.

Today they have expanded into much more and are becoming very popular among planners and artists.


I started with white canvas and painted a design using acrylic paint and sharpie marker.


I actually finger painted the one on the left. THAT was a fun experience!


I then took white scrapbook paper and painted a design for the inside cover. To fuse the canvas cover and scrapbook paper together I used iron on adhesive and then stitched the edge to keep it from fraying and to add a more finished look.


The journals inside are made of a hand painted scrapbook paper and lined copy paper or sketchbook paper.



Sorry its so hard to hear!


Midori Journal Covers from emilyburlingame on Vimeo.

1 comments:

  1. Not understanding how you put more then one journal inside?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...