Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Sans the dairy... and the sugar... and homemade coconut milk coffee creamer

Since my daughter Ada began eating solid foods (she's 3 now), I became ACUTELY aware of what I was putting into my own mouth. I felt like a hypocrite making whole fruits and veggies into beautiful purees for her and then shoving Reese's PB cups and Chick-Fil-A down my own mouth....I still love me some Chick Fil A.... :/

 I felt a strong urgency to learn more about my food and how it effected my body.


I always knew I wanted to make Ada's food, so that I could control the ingredients and sugar levels. And I did, but the older she gets, the battle for what she eats grows increasingly more difficult.


Ada and I have both been experiencing some minor health related struggles. Constipation and acne, respectively. (Sorry baby, I hope you're friends don't read this when you're 16), but these issues, though nothing too severe have been enough for me to really take more drastic measures in our eating habits. It was enough for this mama to watch helplessly as her child struggled to pass a tiny rabbit pellet sized poo.


Some of my own personal health struggles have been around cystic acne. It started in college. I've tried medication (that worked... but ew.), monthly facials, special face washes, creams and potions and every month the zits would return, especially around that oh so special time of month (sorry dudes).


I began doing some of my own research about using food to heal the body. I have always felt deep in my heart that natural foods were the way God intended us to eat, so why wouldn't those same natural foods help my body heal itself. I recommend watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by the way... And while healthy eating isn't a blanket statement for fixing all health issues I do believe it is the place to start.


I started doing some research among some of my other favorite bloggers who are more experienced in nutrition (Linda Wagner, The Wellness Mama, and Pumps and Iron). What I found was cutting dairy and sugar were just the things that Ada and I both needed to help us.

So far removing sugar (sweets and processed foods, where sugar hides) has been fairly easy to cut out. The DAIRY on the other hand! People, that means cheese! And cream in my coffee! GONE!


BUT so far so good. I have cheated on a few things, but for the most part I have drastically removed dairy and refined sugars from our diets and I think it's working. Ada and I are both taking a probiotic and drinking significantly more water. Which is an added bonus.

(There's coconut milk in that coffee! Starbucks has it now! Iced coffee with no sugar and coconut milk! Yum.)


We have also increased the number of green juices we drink during the week too. I like it as a substitute for coffee in the morning.

When I do want coffee I use a home made coconut milk 'creamer' recipe.




My skin seems less bumpy. I am eager to see if I break out in any large cyst like zits in the next few weeks. And, Ada is, well, using the potty more frequently :)

I love food. It's seriously amazing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...