Monday, January 25, 2016

Why make art?

I have been pondering thoughts lately of the meaning of WHY I create and make art. Don't get me wrong, I could make art and DIY's all day long. Joyfully spreading bright, cheery paint on just about anything, sets my heart on fire. Sometimes, I even have to remind myself that I have other responsibilities and relationships that need tending to!


It feels selfish sometimes to indulge in something I love so much. I firmly believe that God's design for all of us is to create in some form. But what's the point of making? Why make art? Deep philosophical stuff here! These are the kind of questions I challenge my students with. I should have the answers, right?


Well, I don't have all the answers, but God does and He always knows just what I need.

Reading through one of my absolute favorite devotional books on Sunday I read through a chapter on 'Imagination'. The author Tim wrote these words and prayer:

"It is for His (God) glory - not ours - that we live and breathe and have our being. He is the main character. I am not.

Lord, Jesus, help me to see beauty. Help me to grasp your meaning in this life so that I can communicate it imaginatively to my friends and the world."


Yes! Absolutely Yes! This is why I create. I create because just as the birds sing to bring God glory, I paint and draw and DIY and write and teach and mother and encourage to bring God glory.


My deepest prayer is that all I do would point to God, to a savior that longs to know each of us intimately! I hope to convey the way I see the world through a small lens of how God sees it.

I am focusing more of my art on bringing more attention to Him.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...