Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Tip Tuesday: Art Journals


Art Journals are great for any age level, toddler to adulthood.
They are inexpensive and have many uses...!

One of may favorite ways to keep my kid entertained on the go is an Art Journal! I like the smaller ones that have mixed media paper. They are sturdy and not too bulky to travel with. You can find them at any craft store and usually don't cost more than $10!


I throw these in my purse with a baggy of markers, crayons, colored pencils or small watercolor paint set and I'm all set with entertainment should I need it! Like at a restaurant?! When we're all starving and the kids are starting to LOSE it... you know what I mean!


Art Journals are also a great way to keep your child's art all in one spot. My kid likes to draw and doodle on anything. Usually, those little scraps of paper aren't worth keeping, but I also struggle with the idea of throwing them away. If I kept every little thing Ada drew on or colored, I'd be living in a house with paper up to my knees!

An art journal allows your child the freedom to draw and doodle and for you to keep those doodles in a bound book to save. I put finished journals into larger plastic tubs with her other school work or projects I want to keep.


You can come up with so many ideas for 'journal prompts' too. Give your child an idea or thought to communicate on paper. Any one of these ideas can help your child (or you!) come up with great ideas for other art projects too!

Here are a few of my favorite art prompts:

Fruit
Flowers
Animals
Birds
Insects
Made up animals
Self Portrait
Family Portrait
Favorite Place to go
Favorite Toy
Favorite Food or Candy
Use only lines or certain shapes to fill a page
Landscape ideas (trees, skies, beaches etc.)
Use only cool (blues, purples, greens) or warm colors (reds, oranges, yellows)
Cut out pictures from magazines to make a collage page
Practice writing letters or words to go with the pictures
Things that make you happy
Thing that make you sad
What do you want to be when you grow up
Document a recent trip or adventure
Take it to the zoo or park and draw what you see

Seriously this list could go on and on and on and on!


Art journals provide a plethora of opportunities for your child to freely create with out feeling the pressure to make something that is 'perfect'. The idea is mostly about exploration and the chance to just create and practice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...